Mold can be an annoying problem, and an even bigger bummer to your health if unchecked. If you're looking for ways to protect yourself and keep the mold at bay you must have all the facts! Here are some of our favorite - yet totally busted - myths about household mold removal solutions.
Many homeowners use bleach as a solution for eliminating mold or spores, but this is not always effective. In fact, using bleach on mold may actually make the problem worse by spreading the spores throughout your home.
Trying to remove mold by yourself with Borax may be the oldest trick in the book, but it's also almost entirely ineffective. Although some people think that sprinkling Borax on a moldy surface might do the trick, this age-old solution will only leave you high and dry. The truth is that while Borax may be an effective cleaning agent, it just doesn't have what it takes to take on pesky mold. We offer another solution - our mold remediation services, time-tested and proven to be completely effective.
When it comes to killing mold, according to most household cleaning tips, soapy water is thought to be the superior remedy - however, this watery solution isn't actually good at doing the trick! The frustrating news is that mold can be notoriously difficult to get rid of since it has a tendency to come back over and over no matter how much you scrub with soapy water. It takes professional solutions and expertise for truly successful mold removal, so don't let that sudsy bucket of water lull you into a false sense of security; if you want to see real results, be sure to contact FDP Mold Remediation.
Aside from being a great way to make homemade confetti, hydrogen peroxide is unfortunately not the ideal cleaner for removing mold. This is mainly because hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing agent, so instead of deactivating mold spores, it actually energizes them, leading to a larger infestation of nasty fungus.
You might think that if you mix vinegar with water, you can easily kill the pesky mold growing in your bathroom, but it's no use! While vinegar does contain acetic acid, which can kill some germs and bacteria on surfaces, it isn't strong enough to take down stubborn mold. The only way to really get rid of mold is by calling in professional help at 877-421-2614. Save your vinegar for salad dressings and let the experts handle the dirty work.
Copper sulfate might appear to be the perfect candidate for removing pesky, stubborn mold, but looks can be deceiving. While it might seem like it would do the job, it's not effective and could put you and your family in danger. Don't even bother with copper sulfate. It's a waste of money and effort and could also jeopardize your safety.
Manganese is a mineral that many people believe can help rid the home of unsightly mold. Unfortunately, its reputation has been overinflated; in reality, it may have little to no effect on your mold problem. Don't be fooled by extravagant promises of a 'miracle' solution - it's time to put away the manganese and dustpan.
Even if you thought your bleach-filled sponge was the ultimate mold cleaner, you may want to turn it into a spiny dust collector instead. That's because chlorine-containing bleaches are actually of little help when it comes to removing toxic mold - and can be potentially dangerous for allergy sufferers in the process.
Baking soda is sadly worth less than the container it's stored in. Contrary to common belief, baking soda has virtually no effect on getting rid of mold - no matter how much of it you sprinkle around! In fact, all that will do is make your living space look like a culinary experiment gone wrong.
We've all heard the old adage "if a little bit of something is good, a lot must be better" - but when it comes to salt and mold, that just isn't true. You can use salt in your cooking until you're blue in the face, but don't go trying to sprinkle it over moldy surfaces in your hopes of getting rid of the nasty spot. It just won't do anything.
While essential oils may seem like the perfect all-natural way to remove mold, you'll find yourself both frustrated and empty-handed. Let's just say that trying to remove mold growth using essential oils is like using a hammer to make a sandwich - it seems like it should work, but unfortunately in this case, you'd need something else, like our mold experts!
Activated charcoal is a popular natural remedy for all sorts of ailments, from stomach aches to skin problems to air purification. But it may come as a surprise that activated charcoal cannot effectively rid a home of mold. While it is true that activated charcoal attracts and absorbs certain types of toxins, the microscopic composition of mold spores is not among them. So, no matter what quantity of activated charcoal you use, the mold still won't budge. Plus, if water is present, which it often is when dealing with mold, then the charcoal will absorb the moisture, thus creating an ideal breeding ground for fungal growth.
Most people think calcium chloride is the answer to removing mold and mildew, but it's probably easier said than done. Calcium chloride is not your knight in shining armor, and you should not expect it to rid your castle of all its fungi.
Did you know that despite all the hype, silica gel is more of a moisture-prevention tool than a miracle cure for mold? Sure, it can keep away the spore-producing stuff if you're looking to keep items safe in areas where humidity levels are high. But if your stuff has already gone moldy, then all that silica gel in the world isn't going to save it! So don't fall into the trap of thinking that throwing some of those little balls in a drawer or box is going to automatically make everything right, because odds are it won't live up to your expectations.
Want to make sure mold is gone for good without putting yourself in harm's way? Rely on the pros at FDP Mold Remediation! Our experts provide professional mold remediation with top-of-the-line mold removal products to help ensure that pesky problems stay far away from your home. For more information call us - 877-421-2614.