Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis Due to Household Mold Exposure

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis Due to Household Mold Exposure

Did you know that mold can lead to many different health issues? Many people aren't aware of just how dangerous mold can be, so it's important to learn about the various health concerns it can cause.

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) is a serious lung diagnosis that can be caused by mold, so let's dive into this further and discuss what exactly this condition is.

What is Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis (HP)?

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) is a specific type of allergy that impacts the lungs. Individuals with this condition can have symptoms that are resolved quickly or symptoms may become chronic and prevent further health issues. When chronic symptoms are present, it's considered to be an interstitial lung disease and lung scarring can result.

HP can be very serious and severely impact someone's life, so it's important to get its cause identified quickly.

Who does hypersensitivity pneumonitis affect?

Individuals that are exposed to a variety of different allergens, such as bird feathers, are more likely to develop this condition. HP most commonly impacts people who are ages 50-70. There are certain occupations that are more likely to develop this condition, so it's important to understand any health risks that your job may present. If you do have a job that's high-risk, consider bringing that up if you speak with your doctor about any symptoms you're having.

There isn't one cause of HP; instead, there are many allergens that can contribute to this condition. Let's go over one of the most common causes of hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis Due to Household Mold Exposure
IICRC Certified
EPA Certified
Need An Estimate?
Ask for a free phone consultation with one of our mold remediation experts.
Get All Mold Related Answers Found Mold?? Don't Wait!
Your satisfaction is guaranteed on every job.

Can mold exposure cause HP?

If you've recently been diagnosed with HP, then you may be wondering if mold health effects could be playing a role in your condition. Unfortunately, mold exposure can most certainly cause HP. In fact, mold-induced hypersensitivity pneumonitis can be extremely severe and lead to significant health impacts. Understanding that mold can lead to this condition is important, as it's a cause that some overlook.

What mold causes hypersensitivity pneumonitis?

There isn't one specific type of mold that causes hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Instead, the body's reaction to the mold is what leads to this condition. Aspergillus is a common type of mold that's unavoidable in the environment, but it can lead to HP when certain people encounter it in high amounts.

What are the symptoms of mold-induced HP?

Unexplained symptoms can be incredibly challenging to deal with, so you might be wondering if you're experiencing this condition. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis symptoms include:

  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Cough
  • Tiredness
  • Shortness of breath

In many cases, individuals initially have flu-like symptoms, which can make the condition difficult to identify. However, it can be possible for symptoms to stop if the exposure ceases. If you're experiencing symptoms that may be related to HP, it's best to reach out to your doctor as soon as possible and share your symptoms with them. (It's also always a good idea to prevent mold growth in your home... More on that later.)

Complications of hypersensitivity pneumonitis caused by mold

As we mentioned previously, mold-induced hypersensitivity pneumonitis can be extremely damaging to someone's health. Chronic mold exposure can lead to irreversible lung damage, impacting someone's ability to breathe and go throughout their daily lives. Identifying and removing mold quickly is essential so that you can limit any possible health effects.

It's likely that symptoms will continue to worsen as the exposure lengthens. This is one of the reasons why mold treatment is so important and why we love what we do - mold remediation can save lives.

How is Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis Treated?

If you're experiencing HP symptoms, you may be wondering what treatment options are available. The first step is to reach out to your doctor and share your concerns. They'll most likely run some diagnostic tests to pinpoint possible symptom causes. If you have a high-risk occupation, then your doctor may be able to diagnose you with HP faster.

Mold-induced hypersensitivity pneumonitis will continue until exposure is stopped. If mold in your home has led to HP, then it's essential that you work with the right mold remediation specialist (like us!).

Importance of using professional mold remediation services

Mold removal is important and it isn't always done right. Some people prefer to use DIY methods, but those rarely work and it can be difficult to assess their effectiveness. The best way to get peace of mind and be sure that your home is safe is to work with a professional mold remediation service.

At FDP Mold Remediation, we have years of experience removing mold and helping people get their health back. If you believe that you have mold in your house, the best option is to work with a professional who can ensure that you're taking the necessary steps to not only get rid of current mold, but also prevent it in the future.

Prevention of HP caused by mold exposure

The good news is that mold-induced HP is preventable. Regularly cleaning your humidifier, drying out damp areas around your home, and cleaning surfaces with an effective agent are all good ways to prevent mold growth in your home. If you have fabric with mold growth on it, it's essential to wash it thoroughly and properly, as well as make sure you're doing what you can to prevent spore inhalation.

Prevention is an important part of maintaining your health, so consider some ways that you can discourage mold growth in your space. If you've had mold before, it may be worth it to have a professional examine your home and provide you with specialized information about its safety and any current mold that may be present.

Call us today for mold remediation!

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a serious condition that can be caused by mold. When mold exposure continues, symptoms can worsen and individuals can be left with irreparable damage.

One of the best ways to prevent HP is to make sure that there isn't mold in your home. If you're currently searching for a mold remediation specialist, look no further than our team at FDP Mold Remediation. We use mold treatment options that are evidence-based, so you can be sure that your home is safe and you're not exposing yourself to dangerous allergens.

Our goal is to create healthier indoor environments for our valued clients in Jersey City, NJ, Baltimore, MD, Dallas, TX ,Queens, NY, Miami, FL and other cities across the states. With our expertise in mold remediation, we aim to serve clients in these areas and help create healthier indoor environments. Whether you need a comprehensive mold assessment, mold remediation, or professional advice on mold prevention strategies, our dedicated team is ready to assist you.

We understand that mold growth can be overwhelming, so let our team help you through the remediation process. You deserve to have a safe home free of dangerous mold and we can make that happen.


<<< Back to Symptoms

24 hour emergency service
highly trained mold remediation technicians
locally owned and operated
a trusted business in the mold remediation industry
Mold Remediation IICRC Certified
Mold Remediation IICRC Certified
Choose fdp mold remediation with confidence
  • IICRC Certified Mold Remediation
  • Rebuild done by licensed contractors
  • Full Service solution, Inspection, Testing, Remediation
  • Clear communication from quote to completion
  • We finish on time and on budget
  • Applied Structural Drying Technician
  • Water Damage Restoration Technician
  • Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist
  • HEPA-Filtration Units
licensed, certified & insured mold remediation specialists
IICRC Certified
EPA Certified